Sunday, May 06, 2007

IRREVELENT!

OK, ELC and I have returned from Charm City and, as expected, it was an epic journey. Here are some highlights.

The post title refers to what Beth said to me when I started to talk about one of the apartments that I had already decided against.

Dropping the cell phone under my car seat and discussing for MANY miles how to retrieve it (but finally deciding just to leave it there.)

"We're STILL in Pennsylvania!" This was one of MANY comments that I made about our SLOW progress driving south.

Also on the drive down Beth commented on a truck that had coolers and containers on the back and she worried that they might contain "biodegradeable trash picked up by the health department." That boidegradeable trash IS a menace to our mother earth!

The weird hotel with the sensitive waitress. Now the last time I stayed there I thought the place had a very weird vibe, but I thought maybe it was just me. Now I have ELC as a witness. When we went to the hotel restaurant for dinner (where one other table was seated), Beth and I were laughing about something and the waitress, when she brought our drinks over, said, "I thought you were laughing at me." Well we weren't, but now we were.

The restaurant had two menus -- an expensive one and another one called "Light Fare" which I kept insisting on calling the "leisure" menu.

watching the Baltimore channel -- Laura: "I'm NOT wearing a crab hat!"



Happy cinco de mayo! We celebrated at the Mount Washington Tavern. It was good.

"Squitting" (my drunken contraction of "fitting a square peg into a round hole")

the surly bartender manager (I don't even know how to describe how he was surly, he just was!)

Happy Derby Day! We celebrated this at the hotel "bar" where we had mint juleps. Actually, I tried one but didn't like it so I ordered a mojito, which I think is the perfect marriage of cinco de mayo and the Kentucky Derby!

"put my drink on her tab." "but I don't even know you." When I went to the bar to order my mojito, I told the bartender to put my drink on her tab and I gestured to Beth. But the lady sitting next to where I was standing didn't see my gesture and thought I was trying to get HER to pay for my drinks. WA HA HA HA HA!!!

and although we shall NEVER speak of it -- the skin sleeve. AGGGGHHHHH!

5 comments:

diana said...

Okay, what is the SKIN SLEEVE????

Liberty Fan said...

Think "Flesh Blanket" MM.

Excellent synopsis, CG! I totally agree with your perception of a weird vibe. I thought again of our trip as I dispensed with my biodegradable trash from lunch. Hee, hee.

Liberty Fan said...

And just for the record, it was "irrelevant!"

CurlyGirl said...

Thank you, my spell-checking cousin! And I forgot to mention when you and were leaving the room to go to the bar for the Derby -- me with my purse and you without yours, just like our moms!

Liberty Fan said...

It was classic, wasn't it?? "Wait, I have to get my purse." And me standing at the open door without one. Kind of comforting!