Saturday, September 30, 2006

Um, we can still see them!!!

Dad and I went to NYC today to see Madama Butterfly at the Met. It was a wonderful new production by Anthony Minghella. The experience was bittersweet since Dad had originally purchased the tickets to take Mom. It was one of her favorite operas. So it was a bit of a weepfest for me since every time there was something that moved me or delighted me, I kept thinking how much Mom would have loved it.

So let me say this -- it was visually stunning and the lighting and staging was spectacular. The use of deep color lighting was brilliant and dramatic. This is from the opening (that is an actual person in silhouette!)



Ok, there was a small problem. I've been checking reviews and apparently some people really loved Minghella's use of a puppet or banraku for Butterfly's small son. Um, no. I found the puppet and its two to three human handlers (also known as puppeteers!! wa ha ha!) very distracting. Even though they were dressed in black (which does not render them invisible!), I was very aware of the clump of people involved in these intimate scenes between Butterfly and her son. You can see for yourself.







Dad and I agreed that, even with the puppet, we would still give the performance an 8 or 9 out of 10. I am choosing to forget about the weird puppet (a small child actor could NOT have been any more distracting than a puppet!) and remember the beautiful presentation and music. It was a wonderful day.

OH MY GOD. You must go here Please note the second family. You WON'T be disappointed!

8 comments:

diana said...

That is a very striking opening scene. I agree that the PUPPET and PUPPETEERS must have been distracting. When I saw "Madame Butterfly" they had a little boy, who was cute and well-behaved, but he had a curly blond wig on that made him look like a little Harpo Marx. That was also distracting.

I watched that Braintree Bank commercial about 500 times. I'm switching all my accounts there.

CurlyGirl said...

I believe that BD is still right about the Toni Braxton White Skin-tight, Jumpsuit. No?

CurlyGirl said...

Its like winter white. It'd be appropriate for this time of year.

Liberty Fan said...

I can't believe you saw the creepy boy puppet!! Sirius has just started to broadcast the Met, so I listened to it last Wednesday. They had a little video clip about the production, and I thought everything was absolutely lovely, except for "Chucky goes to the Met!"
I agree with Mighty Momogus - am moving all my many, many, many accounts (?!!!) to Braintree. May I get autographs if I promise not to sell them on e-bay?

diana said...

Um, excuse me, but would you all go over to TMM and leave a million comments there? I'm feeling neglected....

And when did "NaturalBlonde" become "the mother"?

By the way, I'm heading up to Braintree Bank on Saturday for free coffee and donuts and to switch all my accounts. Who's with me?? ROAD TRIP!!

Liberty Fan said...

I'm in. But would you drive? My car died. Do they give car loans at my new celebrity friends' bank??????

Liberty Fan said...

That is very kind offer, M!!! The feeling is mutual. Through Curly, I have felt always felt connected to you and your crew. And it is so nice to have finally met one of you in person. I'm more partial to the looks of the chocolate one she was working on.

There are a lot of mountains between here and there - but, oh what a fun road trip it would be! Maybe I'll just do a one way rental, so that I can get up there for when The Bank presents me with my free car!!!

diana said...

I can come get you, Cugina, on my way up to Braintree to change all my bank accounts and get some free donuts - it's Saturday, after all!! I'll see you around 10.